Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a chronic condition that afflicts millions of children and often continues into adulthood. ADHD includes a combination of persistent problems, such as difficulty sustaining attention, hyperactivity, and impulsive behavior. Children and adults with ADHD also may struggle with low self-esteem, troubled relationships, and poor performance in school.
- Family therapy
- Behavior therapy (BT) to teach a child how to monitor his or her behavior
- Social skills training to help adjust to social environments
- Support groups can be great for helping parents of children with ADHD connect with others who may share similar experiences and concerns.
- Parenting skill training gives you tools and techniques for understanding and managing your child's behaviors. Some techniques may include the following: immediate rewards, timeouts, stress management, togetherness, striving for success
- Medications are also available which are prescribed by doctors
Credit: Charleston Shoe Productions